2009-06-12

Siegfried Gass, Frei Otto & Wolfgang Weidlich


Architect Lorenz Lachauer (who is currenty a research assistent at the ETH Zürich) sent me this scan from a book he found in the library. The book is called "Experimente: Physikalische Analogmodelle Im Architektonischen Entwerfen" by Siegfried Gass, Frei Otto and Wolfgang Weidlich, published by the Institut für leichte Flächentragwerke, Universität Stuttgart in 1990. He says it's a really amazing book and I believe him! Thanks for letting us know, Lorenz!

Update 2009-10-01:


Moritz Fleischmann at the ICD (Universität Stuttgart) kindly told me this book (also labeled IL25, ISBN: 978-3-7828-2025-7) is still available from the Verein zur Förderung des Leichtbaus e.V. (website) in Stuttgart and you can order it here. Thanks Moritz!

7 comments:

  1. hi mårten,

    i am the worst when it comes to anything technical and or mathematically related, but i must say that your work and this blog are absolutely fascinating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Joanne! I'm glad you find this blog interesting despite all the technical stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can still order the book at our university:
    On http://www.leichtbau-verein.de/en/03publikationen/index.html you can download a pdf order form. I think you are looking for the "IL25" publication out #5 of the "form, force, mass" Series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Moritz! I've updated the post with this information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful book to have in your library. I purchased it for my graduate research thesis in textiles and digital modeling. Gass did a wonderful job describing the role of the tactile model.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mårten, I stumbled across your blog when beginning some research on curves... I'm an art student, and not remotely good at maths, but it looks like I'm going to have to master this studd if I'm going to make the piece of jewellery I have in mind for a project (consisting of 3d curved geometric shapes). I know this is probably a broad question, but any tips or pointers before I go about my project?

    ReplyDelete